Courtesy of the Madera County Historic Modern society
The only drug shop in Madera in 1890 belonged to William Hunter. A primitive store in its beginnings, Hunter’s Medications before long flourished and remained in business enterprise in the identical spot on Yosemite Avenue for 100 years. The installation of a soda fountain within the drug retail store was amid the 1st improvements produced to the company as it began to just take form.
The Dec. 6, 1926 headlines of The Madera Tribune stunned the city.
They declared the passing of W.W.W. Hunter, proprietor of the Hunter Drug Shop.
He had died quickly the evening ahead of from uremic poisoning from which he experienced been struggling for some time. He took a critical transform on Sunday afternoon, the working day prior to he died. He was taken to the hospital, but in spite of all that could be finished for him he handed absent.
William Hunter owned Madera’s only drug retail outlet, which he experienced obtained from Dr. J.T. Surbaugh. As the town’s pharmacist, he was the following best issue to a doctor that change-of-the-century life had to supply. His enterprise, the Hunter Drug Enterprise, was founded in 1890 and remained in its primary locale on Yosemite Avenue during its 100-yr existence.
When he very first set up his shingle, it had “W.W.W. Hunter, Pharmacist” scrawled on a “crude wooden indicator.” It hung by the doorway of the aged brick building which experienced been created by Return Roberts, San Jose financier and early promoter of Madera.
At to start with “Doc” Hunter’s keep housed only primitive medicines, herbs, chemical compounds, and a several patent medications in a dim storeroom, which was devoid of traditional clearly show windows and exhibit circumstances. This problem would transform speedily.
W.W.W. Hunter was born in Hornitos in 1863, his dad and mom having migrated there from Iowa. William obtained his early teaching as a druggist in Dr. Reid’s Mariposa drug keep.
By 1890, he experienced served his apprenticeship and attained his “final papers.” When an opportunity to acquire Madera’s only drugstore offered by itself that yr, Hunter jumped at the chance. With his spouse, Louise, his children, and “Cap,” his ageing father, Hunter created the move.
Cap ran a cigar stand in the corner of the drug store. So it was that Hunter’s Drug Organization arrived into existence.
Madera at the time was only 14 decades outdated. The drug shop did not have electric power. It used kerosene lamps for this kind of illumination as was needed. When electricity lastly did arrive, the building plant shut down at midnight, forcing Hunter’s back to kerosene lamps.
Doc Hunter’s daughter remembered there remaining much more than 20 saloons on Yosemite Avenue in the past decade of the 19th century. She recalled that “there was mud, mud, and mud. When it rained, the drinking water stood a foot deep. They place large planks functioning from one facet of the avenue to the other, and you waited your transform to cross. We had board sidewalks and awnings.”
As Madera grew, so did Hunter’s Drug Retail outlet. A single of the first soda fountains in the Valley was put in there, and the Hunters commenced to make their very own ice product. A gasoline motor was used to flip the freezer. The fountain was open up from May possibly to November, and 10 distinct kinds of ice cream were being produced.
The retail store was transformed three times in the early years, as electrical power changed fuel lights, and the outdated pot-bellied coal burning stove gave way to an oil burner. In 1898, a phone was put in. It connected the drug shop with the Hunter property and Dr. Reid’s place of work. The selection was 23.
W.W.W. Hunter had two well-known slogans. Referring to his ice product, he identified as it “the finest west of the Mississippi,” and alluding to his prolonged apothecary tenure, “Doc” proclaimed, “Hunter’s Drug Shop considering that 1890, we have a tablet for every unwell.”
“Doc” Hunter’s daughters, who experienced labored with him in the drug retailer, carried on his tradition just after his demise. The business continued and arrived at the century mark, residing on as a tribute to the pioneer spirit of W.W.W. Hunter.
Doc Hunter was survved by his spouse Louisa and two daughters, Mrs. Shirley Wilson and Overlook Alina Hunter, all of Madera. He was a member of the Masonic lodge and the Woodmen of the Entire world.
Funeral providers have been held Tuesday afternoon, December 8 from Jay chapel. The solutions had been in charge of the Masonic lodge.