A male has died after an oxygen tank got sucked into the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine he was remaining scanned in.
The 60-calendar year-old affected person was at a hospital in the town of Gimhae, South Korea, next seizures when the accident took put. Law enforcement told the South China Morning Article that he was hit in the head by a 60-kilogram (132-pound) oxygen cylinder that flew into the MRI device just after it experienced been turned on.
MRI equipment get the job done by creating strong magnetic fields (as nicely as radio waves) targeting hydrogen nuclei (protons) in water. As protons are subjected to the magnetic area (about a thousand times stronger than that created by a fridge magnet) their axes line up.
“This uniform alignment generates a magnetic vector oriented alongside the axis of the MRI scanner,” science editor Abi Berger clarifies in the BMJ.
“When extra electrical power (in the type of a radio wave) is included to the magnetic area, the magnetic vector is deflected. The radio wave frequency (RF) that will cause the hydrogen nuclei to resonate is dependent on the component sought (hydrogen in this scenario) and the power of the magnetic area.”
“When the radiofrequency supply is switched off the magnetic vector returns to its resting condition, and this leads to a sign (also a radio wave) to be emitted. It is this signal which is made use of to develop the MR photographs.”
While this is fantastic for observing inside the overall body – in particular cartilage, tendons, and muscle tissues, which other scanning procedures cannot make images of really very well – it’s not so excellent if you transpire to be carrying anything magnetic. For some idea of the forces included, test out this video underneath.
This is why hospitals will prevent you from bringing metallic objects into the MRI suite. As these types of, law enforcement are investigating how the oxygen tank was authorized into the space in the very first spot.
This is not the first incident involving an MRI machine and an oxygen tank. In 2018, a guy was sucked into an MRI device although carrying a related tank, later dying.
“Regardless of being a ‘never function,’ MRI magnetic projectile accidents however continue on to take place fairly on a regular basis, and radiology should hold our heads for that,” Tobias Gilk, senior vice president of Radiology-Organizing instructed AuntMinnie.com following the most recent accident.
“The truth is that practically nowhere in the planet are there true specific policies or requirements to observe the long-established best practices that would help stop precisely this form of accident.”